Friday, February 11, 2011

The Lottery

So my friend won the lottery the other day... Nothing too major, just half a million... lol. Looks pretty major to me. But it got me thinking..
How many of you guys have ever been fortunate enough to win the lottery? I had a bit of an addiction to scratch cards a few years back... I won forty dollars on my first card and was hooked. I ended up dropping the addiction before it got too out of hand. I basically realized it was a fool's game to play, and even if you do win, it would be a fool's win (try telling that to someone who got $90 million with the cash option xD).

It's kind of messed up that they play on people's hope the way they do. Sure you can argue there is free-will and no one is forcing them to play.. but some of the people who play the lottery are financially devastated and it's sad to me that they will throw their hope at near impossible odds.

The idea is kind of amusing, but in practice it's pathetic. If you win any substantial sum, you could easily be set for life.. and your family could be set for life. It's pathetic how people win big and lose even bigger. I mean, am I wrong to think investing and smart spending would be a bad idea in the case of a win? I've always stuck to practicality, and I can't see a win do anything but grow. I understand family and friends come knocking, wanting help with this or that, but still... how many cases have we had now that people win big and just lose it all?

Now don't get me wrong.. if I were ever to win, surely I'd indulge in a nice bottle of champagne, some fine caviar, maybe even a sandwich (like the really good and expensive ones from New York), but there is no possible way I'd let that kind of money just pour away into nothing. I would still wear cheap clothes, have an old car, live in a small house...

So tell me guys. Have any of you ever won any decent amount from the lottery? If you did, how did you spend it? What are your thoughts on the lottery in general?And as always, thank you for reading! ^_^

25 comments:

  1. i think the lottery is fun to play once in a while, mainly scratch offs. but i dont understand how people lose all that money they win, its crazy! i would be smart and put most of it in the bank and use a little for fun. i dont think my lifestyle would change though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never won before (sighh).. but if ever i were to win, i'd prolly just invest it in a bank and live off of interest til i get a family, then probably spend half of it and keep the rest for my children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't won anything but the 10$ prize but I don't do that often. I buy maybe 3 or 4 tickets a year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how good of friends are you with this person? hahah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never won the lottery. I played a few times but the most I got out of it was a free ticket.

    My Mom won $250 a couple of years ago. That's about it. I guess luck doesn't run it the family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. he is my new best friend too. Where does he live? I know a nigerian prince who could triple it and give it back

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried on and off, and have been fortunate to break even. My dad is addicted and thinks, no SWEARS that the local state lottery is monitoring him, and making sure his numbers never EVER come up...

    ReplyDelete
  8. 50% of the money would have to go into savings. I don't even know how to think big, so why would I spend big? At the very least, I'll let the money grow while I do what I usually do. Window shop forever until the same item that I've been wanting keeps popping up and possibly goes on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never won any significant sum of money but if I did I would want to put it somewhere useful--such as in buying a quality home and lock the other parts up in CDs for kids and stuff.

    I guess that people just lose control because their dream has come true--but maybe things were better without a drug/alcohol addiction? heh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A half a million goes a long way! I play ever week in an office pool, and would ecstatic if we won.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My folks won $10,000. Gave me and my sister $100 each. Dad bought a new laptop and used the rest to pay off family that we owed money to and then pay our bills. Pretty much it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. holy smokes. I never play lol but I would totally give a bunch to charity and a bunch to my parents, the rest I would spend on myself :3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet he is your best friend now huh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol.. He lives thousands of miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd blow allllll my money on weed, booze, books and cars. I just know I would!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky guy..Most I've ever won was a CD walkman. Back when they were new, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  17. well i've nver won anything but i believe my grandma won a few thousand dollars some time ago

    but of course i think the lottery is what it is ... a chance for people to throw away some of their money with the small incentive of winning some more

    i've played once when i had a dream that i won and never again after that

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh shit!! Did he gave you anything?>

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha nah.. I wouldn't ask either :).

    ReplyDelete
  20. if i could make that kind of money i'd likely never work again

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never won more than maybe $10 from scratch-off games, but if I ever won anything major it'd go towards paying off my college debt and getting a small but decent apartment, then straight into saving.

    ReplyDelete
  22. give it all to charity, its not worth the misery and sense of longing to do something more with your life it will create in the long run. new follower

    http://underratedfilms.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I play the dollar scratch offs every week. Not really to win, but just for fun. The most I won off of one was about $50.

    ReplyDelete